Saturday, May 26, 2007

Bittersweet Wanderings

It's 4.30am. I've been walking the streets, barefooted, a skirt and a blanket as my clothing.

Okefenokee Swamp is on fire.
Okefenokee is in Georgia and it has been burning for three weeks.
Opelika and Auburn (in Alabama) are covered in smoke. Birmingham and Montgomery, too.
This location 5 hours away from us, even further from Montgomery.

It was very bittersweet, padding the street, just now. The birds were chirping and happy though the sun has not yet come up. And the smoke...like fog...

I could write novels and poems about how mystical it was.
And sad.
It's so sad to think the land is on fire.
But I know without fires like this the swamp would die.
But still...it is too much now. Even the officials know it is too much.

And the smoke....amazing.

Anyway I suppose I should get to bed soon. I have been up all night working.
Do you have any idea how many people are awake at this hour? I walked past many houses with lights and tellys on!
Odd.

But again...I ought to think about sleeping.
I'm working on a commission and I want to polish it up tomorrow.

My love to all.
Think of me wandering the smoke laden streets, won't you?

It's...breathtaking. Literally.

Love,
xxxS.
(I may just take one more walk...before bedtime...)

1 comment:

Hope said...

It finally arrived here yesterday. Faint scents of campfire in the air, smoky haze muffling the sunshine.