Sunday, March 4, 2007

I Sold a Piece.

I sold a painting this morning. I sold 'Poppies and Rain'. The buyer was someone I know online and I am glad for it because I have grown to love this work. And it's nice to know it is going to someone special.

I went to the hardware store to buy wood and paints. I spent the afternoon sawing masonite to size and then sanding, priming and painting it. My head is dizzy with the fumes, the air in my studio is so thick everything swirls in multiple colours.

I remember reading a romance novel when I was 12 about an artist who was living and working in her shack on the beach. She hadn't cracked any of the windows and she passed out due to the fumes. Of course the hero of the novel swooped in and saved her. It was all terribly romantic. Unfortunately I think my passing out is just going to be graceless, unglamorous and stupid.

It is 9.30pm and I'm drawing up a work I have been inspired to paint for days. My head is crashing so my bottle of chilled water and my ibuprofen are my friends. And my Jupiter Gurl CD. I feel like if I don't get a hold of it tonight my entire week will be off kilter and I'll be a mean person to be around. And then I'll sink into a funk. So tonight I must push and I must pull through with this piece - so I can wake up smiling.

Anyway I did have a reason to post (other than the news of my sale). And that is to pass on a quote I heard and adored on the Andy Warhol documentary I am watching (that a friend sent me).
It goes as such:

"I was walking in Bali and I saw a bunch of people in a clearing having a ball. Because somebody they really liked had just died and I realised that everything was just how you decided to think about it. Sometimes people let the same problems make them miserable for years when they should just say...so what. That's my favourite thing to say - so what. I don't know how I made it through all the years before I learned to do that trick. It took a long time for me to learn it but once you do you never forget."

Nice.

No comments: