Monday, March 26, 2007

A Praying Mantis and Aethecus.

Yesterday the idea of Aethecus was conceived. Today Aethecus was born.

I was wearing a pale pink t-shirt and boy said 'hold on, stop'. Then he proceeded to pull off the SMALLEST, TINIEST, most BABY praying mantis we had seen. Boy said 'if that's not good luck, I don't know what is'.

Over lunch we discussed Aethecus. Both dreadfully excited. I've wanted a God of Visual Arts to thank and then a God of Visual Arts appeared. We spoke eagerly of the website, the stories behind Aethecus, and sharing Aethecus with others. Once we got home boy got to work on the website. It's a combined effort but I have to give him mad props for all the work he has done on it.

And you can find Aethecus (still slightly under construction) here: Aethecus.

I thought it was very apt that the idea of Aethecus came to us in the Spring, that he was born in Springtime. But also I looked up the symbolism of Praying Mantis. I quote: "The praying mantis is the oldest symbol of God: the African Bushman’s manifestation of God come to Earth, “the voice of the infinite in the small,”* a divine messenger."

And I just know we're making history.

No comments: